Sunday, February 11, 2007

My World and Welcome To It

Squeaky and Chloe, during a quiet moment

I wish I could say that my week was interesting. The fact that I survived it without dying from frustration is a plus. Right now, while I am attempting to write something - anything - my latest two-hundred-fifty dollar stray cat is doing everything possible to thwart my efforts by stepping on the keyboard.

Squeaky and her sister Chloe, were the two latest emergencies that turned up on my doorstep. Both were very pregnant, possibly only a week or two away from giving birth. Since I already have too many cats, even by humanitarian standards, I did the only rational thing I could do - I had them both spayed, effectively ending this and all future bouts of procreation. And I paid for it dearly. Because my regular old country vet, (who takes pity on me and my blossoming animal shelter) is out on medical leave, I had to find someone else. And the only vet who could take them right away charged me close to five hundred dollars for the convenience of not having any more kittens. Five hundred dollars for two stray cats. It's no wonder the animal shelters are full - the average minimum wage earner can't afford to spay or neuter their pets at those prices. Oh, I know what the conservative would say - if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it. But does that credo apply to other things as well say a car, a house, children?

Another wonderful occurrence in my life was dealing with the auto mechanic/body shop after my most recent deer strike. This was number four in about fifteen years, third in less than five years. And while my insurance carrier has paid for all my mishaps without complaint, I am quite certain my rate of coverage is higher than most folks, even though my driving record is otherwise exemplary. So even though Bambi is now pushing up daisies, and I was without a car for six very long, frustrating days, my car is now back to its original glory. Now if I could just keep the little bastards from jumping out in front of me.

And finally, more and more, I am depressed about living in the chimpster's a-mer-rika. For the third time in six months, I have been offered overtime and am jumping at it. Even though I will be working six days out of seven, some days more than 12 hours, I simply cannot afford not to do it. This is one of those months where everything comes due at the same time: taxes, insurances, car payment, loans, annual bills, etc. The feeling of not being able to pay everything is like a weight upon my chest at times. The fear of losing everything is more real than ever, particularly in this "ownership society." Even with my good job and benefits, and a second income, the ability to even consider a savings account seems unreasonable most days.

I often consider if I am struggling to meet my obligations, someone without children, what hope does a person have who is working minimum wage jobs with no benefits and a family to support? Again, I guess the conservative thought bubble would read: "if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it." However, if that were to happen, the folks at the country club would have to carry their own bag, wash their own toilets and pour their own cocktails.

Oh yes, and fight their own wars.

On this Sunday morning, before my day kicks into high gear, I will reflect upon the things I have and not the things I am missing out on. I will pray for the soldiers in Iraq and their safe return home. I will reflect upon the knowledge that with luck the chimp will be out of the White House in less than twenty-three months. And I will try to remain optimistic about the future of this country and my life in general, including my $250 cat.

5 Comments:

At 2/11/2007 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Fantod said...

IJ,

This time of the year can be a real bummer. For all the reasons you gave, but also because of the lack of daylight. I know I am also getting depressed about financial obligations. I'm steadily paying down debt, but it seems to be a long ways off before I'll be actually saving for the future. And I don't even have a car to maintain!

On the other hand, I do have a couple of cats, myself (plus a rescued parakeet) that provide a lot of entertainment and companionship. And that's hard to put a price on.

 
At 2/11/2007 11:34:00 PM, Blogger InternetJunkie said...

Agreed, Fan, that pets do provide us with a source of companionship and comfort.

Now if I could just teach them to attack my republican roommate on command...

 
At 2/13/2007 12:09:00 PM, Blogger not_over_it said...

IJ, why didn't you call me, fer chrissakes!

I told you before that my vet would help in just such and emergency! And for a hell of a lot less!

 
At 2/13/2007 01:54:00 PM, Blogger InternetJunkie said...

I wish I had called you. But I was desperate and didn't think of it at the time. Besides, I didn't think a vet out in the boondocks was going to charge me $56 for a bag of ringers (no shit).

I'll know better next time....

 
At 2/13/2007 05:00:00 PM, Blogger not_over_it said...

Remember when my favorite kitty in the whole world had to be put to sleep, my poor little Moe?

The total the vet charged me for the surgery, putting him to sleep, and disposing of the body was....77 dollars.

I love that man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home